In San Jose, like most California cities, property owners are responsible for maintenance of the sidewalk, gutters, and park strips abutting their property line.  If the sidewalk or gutter is cracked, raised or otherwise damaged, the immediately adjacent property owner must apply for a repair permit (to ensure quality control) and pay for the repair. However, property owners whose annual household income is less than three times the federal poverty level may request financial assistance by emailing

You can learn more about the sidewalk and gutter repair process on the City’s website:

To reach City staff to discuss sidewalk and gutter repair permits, we recommend emailing or calling 408-794-1901. If you are unable to get your questions answered, please let us know and we will do our best to help you get the answers you need. Finally, please note that if a damaged or unsafe sidewalk or gutter is reported and the property owner neglects to repair it, the City will do the repairs and then bill the property owner for the cost.